Re: RAID 1 : DEBIAN (WOODY) b2.4 - compatible Parallel ATA disk / compatible hardware RAID 1 controller

Hi Alvin (and all),

Thanks for all the postings. I've got a HighPoint Rocket 133 ATA card
(see http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/r133.htm for more info) , and
highpoint release what they call the "Linux Source Code" at:

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/bios_r133.htm.

That page says: "Support Linux kernel version 2.2.x to 2.6.x on x86
and amd64 platform."

Now I've tried plugging the card in, and attaching an IDE drive to it,
but on restart DEBIAN can't see the drive. The cards BIOS pops up so
it is functionining - so - I don't even know where to start to try to
load up the "linux source code" drive .....

I've attached the readme and the linux source  - does it sound
plausible/sensible what they've written?

Thanks for anyones' help,
Jim.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:23:54 -0800 (PST), Alvin Oga
<aoga@ns.linux-consulting.com> wrote:

> hi ya biri
>
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, jim biri wrote:
>
> > All I'm lacking now is a known-to-be-reliable ATA disk controller for
> > software RAID 1 i.e. so can have one drive on one ATA disk controller,
> > one drive on another.
>
> that is the "right way" .. one disk per cable ..
>
> all "ata disk controllers" [basically] works ....
> all "ata disk controllers" support sw raid1, because it doesnt do anything
>     fancy and doesn't know how
>
> all sw raid is done in the linux kernel
>
> whether sw raid works reliably or not is up to the user who config'd the
> files and tested enuff and used "good hw" vs "cheap hw"
>         - "reliable" means different things to everybody ..
>
> c ya
> alvin

HPT302/302N Linux Driver OpenSource Distribution
Copyright (C) 2003 HighPoint Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.

#############################################################################
Revision History:

    v1.2  07Jul2004
           Kernel 2.6 and x86_64 support.

    v1.1  15Jul2003
           Full driver source code is released.

    v1.0   12Apr2002
           Users can use this source code to generate HPT302 Linux drivers
           with current Linux kernel version. Then use it for HPT302 controller
           installation. Please follow the detail instruction in this readme.

    v1.0   20Dec2001
           HPT302 Linux driver object code released for
           a limited certain Linux kernel version.

#############################################################################

1. Overview
---------------------
  This package contains Linux driver source code for HighPoint
  HPT302/302N UDMA/ATA133 controller.

  NO WARRANTY

  THE DRIVER SOURCE CODE HIGHPOINT PROVIDED IS FREE OF CHARGE, AND THERE IS
  NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM. THERE ARE NO RESTRICTIONS ON THE USE OF THIS
  FREE SOURCE CODE. HIGHPOINT DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY TECHNICAL SUPPORT IF THE
  CODE HAS BEEN CHANGED FROM ORIGINAL SOURCE CODE.

  LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

  IN NO EVENT WILL HIGHPOINT BE LIABLE FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
  INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR
  INABILITY TO USE THIS PRODUCT OR DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
  POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN PARTICULAR, HIGHPOINT SHALL NOT HAVE
  LIABILITY FOR ANY HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, OR DATA STORED USED WITH THE
  PRODUCT, INCLUDING THE COSTS OF REPAIRING, REPLACING, OR RECOVERING
  SUCH HARDWARE, OR DATA.

2. Build the driver
---------------------
  1) Install kernel source package and building tools.

     You shall use same configuration for the kernel and the driver.
     Otherwise the driver may be unable to load or work abnormally.

     If you are using stock kernel, obtain the configuration in your Linux
     distribution (e.g. the kernel configuration file for Red Hat stock kernel
     can be found under "configs" directory in kernel source tree). Copy the
     configuration file to <your-kernel-source-dir>/.config and setup the
     kernel headers using "make oldconfig" and "make dep" commands before you
     build the driver.

     Please refer to the documents in your Linux distribution for kernel
     configuration.

     If the kernel contains built-in IDE support for HPT302 controller,
     you must disable the kernel support before using this driver. You can
     either rebuild a kernel without HPT302 IDE support, or use boot parameters
     like "hdx=noprobe" to disable the built-in driver.

  2) Extract the driver files to somewhere.

  3) Build the driver (example):

        # make KERNELDIR=/usr/src/linux-2.4.7-10

3. Using the driver
---------------------
  1) Load module "scsi_mod" and "sd_mod" if they are not built into kernel:

        # modprobe sd_mod

  2) Load the driver.

        # insmod ./hpt302.o

     For kernel 2.6, the driver module is "hpt302.ko". Also you need to use
     the 2.5/2.6 module-init-tools (you can get them from
     http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/).
     modutils from 2.4 won't work with 2.5/2.6.

#############################################################################
Technical support and service

  If you have questions about installing or using your HighPoint product,
  check the user's guide or readme file first, and you will find answers to
  most of your questions here. If you need further assistance, please
  contact us. We offer the following support and information services:

  1)  The HighPoint Web Site provides information on software upgrades,
      answers to common questions, and other topics. The Web Site is
      available from Internet 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at
      http://www.highpoint-tech.com.

  2)  For technical support, send e-mail to support@highpoint-tech.com

  NOTE: Before you send an e-mail, please visit our Web Site
        (http://www.highpoint-tech.com) to check if there is a new or
        updated device driver for your system.