Re: RAID 1 : DEBIAN (WOODY) b2.4 - compatible Parallel ATA disk / compatible hardware RAID 1 controller

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, jim biri wrote:

> Thanks for all the postings. I've got a HighPoint Rocket 133 ATA card
> (see http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/r133.htm for more info) , and
> highpoint release what they call the "Linux Source Code" at:
>
> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/bios_r133.htm.

for your stuff .. you might need to turn on the highpoint kernel
option if there is one .. and/or load the modules they give you
for the kernel you run

personally ... i'd throw away the highpoint raid controllers
and any/alll onboard ( motherboard ) raid controllers

	( sw raid is better than most low end hw raid )

	"better" meaning: "it works"
	- if you disconnect /dev/hda .. it still boots
	- if you plug in a brand new /dev/hda .. it resyncs
	- you can monitor the raid status from anywhere for any metric

	other kernel/config issues are a separate problem
	for proper raiding

c ya
alvin