Re: Kernel Upgrade?

On 01/30/2005 05:44 pm, Steve Turnbull wrote:
> On Sunday 30 January 2005 16:18, Max wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Is it possible to change the Linux kernel in a Debian installation
> > without having to do a complete reinstall?
>
> You can easily upgrade the kernel without reinstalling the whole operating
> system - a very common thing to do. I don't know what version of Debian you
> are using, but if you do;
>
> apt-get update
> apt-cache search kernel-source

-----<snipped>--------

I would like to add one comment.  I have tried to compile a 2.6.9 kernel and
also 2.6.10 and both failed with an error relating to "gamma_drm" or
something similar.  I did some Googling and found this is due to some broken
driver in those kernels.  I believe there is a patch that removes the driver
so that the kernel can be compiled.  The broken driver will be removed from
newer kernels, that is what I read.  I am staying with the 2.6.8 kernel until
this is fixed.

--

8)

sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com