Kernel Upgrade?

Dear All,

Is it possible to change the Linux kernel in a Debian installation without
having to do a complete reinstall?

I have e version ok Knoppix to hand so I'm feeling quite brave.  I read a
vague report that the kernel is just an ordinary file in some specific
location, and it's possible to copy the old kernel to a backup directory
for safe keeping, put a new kernel in said specific location, reboot and
presto!

Finally, is there anything I should be aware of before changing the
kernel?  The only reason prompting me to change the kernel is that I have
a bit of software the documentation of which states that the kernel should
be v2.4 or later.  For instance, does a change in kernel usually go hand
in hand with changing some other part of a system?

Regards,
--
Muggles