Re: Replacing NFS with Samba

On (29/01/05 16:24), Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> Tom Allison wrote:
>
> >Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> >
> >>Can I replace NFS sharing with a Samba server - and still provide the
> >>same user rights?
> >>
> >>--
> >>Daniel
> >>

> >Why would you do that unless it was only for the purpose of supporting
> >Windows?
> >
> >There are authentication models for Samba.
>
> I've been having some major problems with a couple workstations on my
> network.  They are setup to mount the home directory tree from an NFS
> server.  The problem is, for some reason, the network connection gets
> interrupted periodically for a moment.  I'm still investigating the
> physical connections - but every time it happens, the X-Windows session
> locks up.  I was hoping Samba would provide a more fault-tolerant
> environment.
Hi Daniel

I've also been looking to replace NFS with Samba (I administer mixed
networks and trying to simplify things).  On the Linux clients I tried
smb4k which seemed to work fine for a while and then became quite
erratic.  I also encountered problems when trying to write to Samba
shares - it would fail to overwrite an existing file but end up leaving
a file of 0 bytes.  So until recently, I reverted to NFS.

However, following something I spotted on the list I tried cifs instead
of smbfs and it seems to have solved the writing to shares problem.  I
tried smb4k again and it was fine for a while and then seemed become
unstable.  I am waiting to the alioth 64bit mirror to come back on stream
so I can try xsmbbrowser instead.

Other than browsing shares with smb4k, samba is performing really well.
I run openoffice in a 32bit chroot environment and that is
reading/writing shares with no problem.

In short, using cifs on the clients has resulted in being being able to
consider dumping nfs.

Regards

Clive

--