Re: NVIDIA upgrade failures

Bram Mertens wrote:
On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 22:02 +0200, Miķelis Rozenbergs wrote:
[...]
I am running version 6111 on my laptop as well, which I installed with
the instructions on
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/debian.html.

[...]

You should use module-assistant to build nvidia-kernel for your
kernel, you'll need kernel-headers to be installed. then install
nvidia-glx package. and don't forget to add "nvidia" to "
/etc/modules" ;) . This all is working over here.

Like I said, this indeed worked fine but at the moment I can only build
the 6111 version of the drivers even though I have the following
packages installed:
nvidia-glx			1.0.6111-1
nvidia-kernel-2.4.26-1-386	1.0.6111+1
nvidia-kernel-2.6.8-1-686	1.0.6111-1+2.6.8-1
nvidia-kernel-2.6.8-2-686	1.0.6111-1+2.6.8-2
nvidia-kernel-common		1.0.6629+1
				^^^^^^^^^^
nvidia-kernel-source		1.0.6111-1
nvidia-settings			1.0-3

I assume I need the 6629 version of nvidia-kernel-source before
module-assistant will build this version?

It appears to be available in unstable
(from :http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=nvidia-kernel&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all)
Package nvidia-kernel-source
unstable (x11): NVIDIA binary kernel module source [non-free] 1.0.6629+1-1: i386

So I would like to know if it is possible to get that (and only that)
package from unstable and use it to build the newer version of the
drivers with module-assistant.

Or would this be considered unwise? Would I be able to revert back to
the current driver if anything goes wrong?

Is there a nvidia-kernel-common avialable anywhere?

From the post by Darryl, it seems that I have one of those "OLD" cards (1 year) that doesn't work with the current releases of nvidia--6629 and kernel 2.6.10. I tried doing an installation of the nvidia-kernel-common, nvidia-gls, etc. It built my nvidia-kernel-2.6.10 (also tried 2.6.8) and it totally didn't work at all.

The ONLY thing that I've been able to use to get this card working is the 2.6.8 kernel and the vanilla NVIDIA 6119 driver from the nvidia website. I guess I have to sit on this configuration for a while now because of my video card. I was hoping to use kernel 2.6.10 so I would have some 1/2 decent cd-rw performance without scsi emulation. That's the other "wall" I'm against.

Sure wish someone would make a video card that wasn't so full of surprises. I hope they get this fixed soon, I can't afford a new video card, they cost more than my computers do.