NVIDIA upgrade failures

I'm currently running the 2.6.8 kernel with a GeForce 550 MX video card and the nvidia drivers version 6111

I tried to upgrade to 2.6.10 and have run into a wall.

I cannot get the 6111 drivers to work.
I cannot get the 'latest' drivers from NVidia to work.
I cannot get the 'latest' drivers from NVidia to work on 2.6.8 kernel.

For the last year, I've been able to simply follow a recipe of upgrading the kernel, installing the kernel-headers package for the same version, and then run the NVIDIA installation script from nvidia's website. And it's always come up fine.

Now it's screwed up. I've had to revert back to 2.6.8 and the old nvidia drivers.

HELP!???

XFree86.0.log doesnt have a single 'EE' in it.

(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x1024"
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
(==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(==) RandR enabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(II) Initializing extension GLX

   *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
   *** be the reason for the server aborting.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to submit@bugs.debian.org.