Re: Retrieving photos via gphoto2

david wrote:

Dear all,

I have recently replaced my old Mandrake 9.0 installation with Debian Sarge, and in general I am extremely pleased.  However, I am having trouble getting gphoto2 talking to my Canon A80 (it is listed as a supported camera, and it worked fine before).  I have tried e-mailing the gphoto list, but no response.  I haven't seen anything yet on the lists or searching the internet.  I sinerely hope that someone on the Debian list can be of assistance.

I am calling gphoto2 from the console, logged on as root (so it should not be a permissions problem) - I have yet to get round to the business of creating a camera group, etc.  It has worked on just two occasions, and I don't know how I did this, it almost always returns an error.  Please see my e-mail to the gphoto list below for further details.  Moreover, I list the output from lsmod below, just in case that provides any clues - before and after a hotplug reset (they appear different for some reason).

Thank you!

Best wishes,

David Joyce

The first error is "canon_usb_lock_keys: Unexpected return of 0 bytes (expected 820) from "get picture abilities." ", but then another re-try produces the following error: "Could not apply USB settings". It then requires a reset of hotplug to get it back to square one (via "/etc/init.d/hotplug restart").

<snip>

had some trouble on an older sarge with gphoto2 recognizing my canon eos 300D.

solved that by installing usbmgr as repacement for hotplug. and usbview just to see what i was doing.
the result:  gphoto2 worked fine afterwards.

(nowadays as you undoubtedly know the developers added a camera-group so that any user can download pictures from the camera)

maybe this can be of some help.

kind regards,

steef