Retrieving photos via gphoto2

Dear all,

I have recently replaced my old Mandrake 9.0 installation with Debian Sarge, and in general I am extremely pleased.  However, I am having trouble getting gphoto2 talking to my Canon A80 (it is listed as a supported camera, and it worked fine before).  I have tried e-mailing the gphoto list, but no response.  I haven't seen anything yet on the lists or searching the internet.  I sinerely hope that someone on the Debian list can be of assistance.

I am calling gphoto2 from the console, logged on as root (so it should not be a permissions problem) - I have yet to get round to the business of creating a camera group, etc.  It has worked on just two occasions, and I don't know how I did this, it almost always returns an error.  Please see my e-mail to the gphoto list below for further details.  Moreover, I list the output from lsmod below, just in case that provides any clues - before and after a hotplug reset (they appear different for some reason).

Thank you!

Best wishes,

David Joyce

===========
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
videodev                9856  0
r128                   92836  2
ipv6                  229764  8
lp                     10408  0
af_packet              20872  2
8139cp                 19072  0
pci_hotplug            30640  0
via_agp                 8832  1
tsdev                   7168  0
mousedev                9996  2
floppy                 54992  0
psmouse                17800  0
pcspkr                  3816  0
evdev                   9088  0
uhci_hcd               29328  0
usbcore               104164  3 uhci_hcd
snd_ens1371            23012  0
snd_rawmidi            23204  1 snd_ens1371
snd_seq_device          7944  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_pcm_oss            48168  0
snd_mixer_oss          16640  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                85384  2 snd_ens1371,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc         11144  1 snd_pcm
snd_timer              23172  1 snd_pcm
snd_ac97_codec         59268  1 snd_ens1371
snd                    50660  8 snd_ens1371,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_ac97_codec
soundcore               9824  1 snd
gameport                4736  1 snd_ens1371
aic7xxx               176088  0
8139too                23936  0
mii                     4864  2 8139cp,8139too
crc32                   4608  2 8139cp,8139too
parport_pc             33348  1
parport                37320  2 lp,parport_pc
agpgart                31784  2 via_agp
capability              4872  0
commoncap               7168  1 capability
sr_mod                 15780  0
scsi_mod              115148  2 aic7xxx,sr_mod
ide_cd                 38176  0
cdrom                  35740  2 sr_mod,ide_cd
rtc                    12088  0
ext3                  109672  2
jbd                    54552  1 ext3
ide_generic             1664  0
via82cxxx              12956  1
ide_disk               16768  4
ide_core              125028  4 ide_cd,ide_generic,via82cxxx,ide_disk
unix                   25908  283
font                    8576  0
vesafb                  6688  0
cfbcopyarea             3840  1 vesafb
cfbimgblt               3200  1 vesafb
cfbfillrect             3712  1 vesafb
#
#/etc/init.d/hotplug restart
(...)
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
uhci_hcd               29328  0
usbcore               104164  3 uhci_hcd
videodev                9856  0
r128                   92836  2
ipv6                  229764  8
lp                     10408  0
af_packet              20872  2
8139cp                 19072  0
pci_hotplug            30640  0
via_agp                 8832  1
tsdev                   7168  0
mousedev                9996  2
floppy                 54992  0
psmouse                17800  0
pcspkr                  3816  0
evdev                   9088  0
[...]

=======================

Dear all,

Firstly, I must thank all the GPhoto developers as I have been happily using
GPhoto2 under Mandrake 9.0 for the last 13 months or so.  Thank you!

Recently, I have just switched to Debian Sarge (kernel version 2.6.8.1), and I
have yet to get Gphoto2 working consistently with my Canon PowerShot A80.  I
have just on two occasions made contact with the files on the camera,
otherwise it returns an error.  How it worked then I haven't been able to
determine - it might just have been a combination of working on gphoto2 with
the occasional restart of hotplug that persuaded it to work.  No-go since
then, though.

The first error is "canon_usb_lock_keys: Unexpected return of 0 bytes
(expected 820) from "get picture abilities." ", but then another re-try
produces the following error: "Could not apply USB settings".  It then
requires a reset of hotplug to get it back to square one (via
"/etc/init.d/hotplug restart").

This is all from the console logged in as root.

I include all the messages below, including version information, and the full
debug output at the end of this posting.  I would be most grateful for any
help - I have searched the mailing lists and the general net, but I have yet
to see any solution.  I am posting to this list, according to the
instructions in the error message.  Clearly, this should be fairly
straightforward, especially since I have managed it without any problems
before, and that it recognises the camera perfectly.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Best wishes,

David Joyce

========
Version info:

# gphoto2 --version
gphoto2 2.1.5

Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Lutz Mueller and others

gphoto2 comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may
redistribute copies of gphoto2 under the terms of the GNU General Public
License. For more information about these matters, see the files named
COPYING.

This version of gphoto2 is using the following software versions and options:
gphoto2           2.1.5        gcc, popt, exif, cdk, no aa, jpeg, readline
libgphoto2        2.1.5        gcc, EXIF, no ltdl, /proc/meminfo
libgphoto2_port   0.5.1        gcc, USB, serial without locking, no ltdl
#

========

# gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model                          Port
Canon PowerShot A80 (normal mode) usb:
Canon PowerShot A80 (normal mode) usb:002,002
#

========

# gphoto2 -L
Detected a 'Canon:PowerShot A80 (normal mode)'.

*** Error ***
canon_usb_lock_keys: Unexpected return of 0 bytes (expected 820) from "get
picture abilities."

*** Error ***
lock keys failed.
*** Error (-102: 'Corrupted data') ***

For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, please run
gphoto2 as follows:

    env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug -L

Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.

#

========
Or:

# gphoto2 -L

*** Error ***
Could not apply USB settings

*** Error ***
An error occurred in the io-library ('Error updating the port settings'):
Could not set config 0/1 (Connection timed out)
*** Error (-37: 'Error updating the port settings') ***

For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, please run
gphoto2 as follows:

    env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug -L

Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.

#

========
Eventually, it gets itself in such a state that it doesn't even recognise the
camera:

# gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model                          Port

# gphoto2 -L

*** Error ***
An error occurred in the io-library ('Bad parameters'): Could not find USB
device (vendor 0x4a9, product 0x309a). Make sure this device is connected to
the computer.
*** Error (-2: 'Bad parameters') ***

For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, please run
gphoto2 as follows:

    env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug -L

Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.

#

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.