Re: Can't access newsgroups withThunderbird

On 01/27/2005 08:30 PM, Edward C. Jones wrote:
I have two Linux systems on two disks: Mandrake 10.1 and Kanotix Bug Hunter X. All the packages in the latter are pure Debian sid. On both systems I have installed Thunderbird. The copy on the Mandrake system was downloaded from mozilla.org. The Kanotix deb came from "http://people.debian.org/~asac/testing";. The "prefs.js" for the two Thunderbirds are quite different.

I get the Internet via cable. The cable modem is plugged into an ethernet board.

Thunderbird works well for the Mandrake system.

Under Kanotix, I am able to send and recieve mail with no problems. But I am unable to set up newsgroups. First I create a newgroups account in Thunderbird. When I try to download the list of newgroups ("manage newsgroup subscriptions"), I am asked to enter my user name and then my password. I get the error: "A News (NNTP) error occured: Invalid username or password". What is the problem and how do I fix it?

I can tell you that on a my Debian system with the same ISP as you have, Thunderbird has always worked just fine. I'm reading your posting to this list as a newsgroup message on linux.debian.user with debian mozilla-thunderbird 1.0-2 from the same repository you used. (Although I'm replying by email to the list address.)

Server settings: news.rcn.com Port: 119

There is no username/password authentication for connections from within the network to the nntp server.

I also occasionally read newsgroups on an authenticating server for which I do use username/password without problems. (news.mozdev.org)

Debian works, and the integrity of its package management system can help avoid all manner of nuisances. Why not install the real thing?