Re: Can't access newsgroups withThunderbird

On Thursday 27 January 2005 18:07, Edward C. Jones <edcjones@erols.com>
(<[🔎] 41F9905D.4080404@erols.com>) wrote:

> Thunderbird. When I try to download the list of newgroups ("manage
> newsgroup subscriptions"), I am asked to enter my user name and then my
> password. I get the error: "A News (NNTP) error occured: Invalid
> username or password". What is the problem and how do I fix it?

If you have an Erols (RCN) account and you're using Erols' news server, you
don't have a username and password (or at least it was that way until
2003).  Erols allows NNTP access to their server only from their own
network.

I've never used Thunderbird for newsgroups, but try to find a way to skip
the authentication, perhaps by simply not entering a username and password.