Kernel 2.6.10 boots panic

Hi!

I have been running woody without problem on a no-brand box. The kernel
is a manually built v2.4.25. Now I am trying to install woody on Asus
PSCH-L. This hardware uses Intel 6300ESB supporting SATA RAID and a
Promise PDC20319 SATA RAID chip. I moved the IDE disk from this no-brand
box to PSCH-L. It takes a long time to boot as it strangely looks for
hdc and complains that hdc (0x80) does not exist. It runs stably after
booting though.

Because kernel 2.6 includes Promise driver (under SCSI sub-menu), I
compiled kernel 2.6.10 from source and did lilo. However, when booting
2.6.10, I get the following panic:

VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or unknown-block(3,1)
VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,1)

My lilo.conf is fairly simple:

boot = /dev/hda
lba32
delay = 50
timeout = 50
prompt
vga = normal
root = /dev/hda1
read-only
image = /boot/bzImage
  label = 2.4.25
image = /boot/bzImage-2.6.10
  label = 2.6.10

I then rebooted to v2.4.25 and compiled Promise driver and manually
loaded it so that /dev/sda (a "fake" disk array) can be accessed. Then I
debootstrap to install a brand new woody to /dev/sda1. By chroot to
/dev/sda1, I compiled a fresh kernel v2.6.10 and did lilo:

boot = /dev/sda
lba32
delay = 50
timeout = 50
prompt
vga = normal
root = /dev/sda1
read-only
image = /boot/bzImage-2.6.10
  label = 2.6.10

Now booting from /dev/sda1 and I get the same panic as from /dev/hda1
disk except one difference - device "301" becoming "801".

As mentioned earlier, the Promise driver also supports kernel v2.4. I
don't know how to make it. I can't because the stand alone driver must
be loaded AFTER scsi_mod.o and I don't know how to arrange the right
order. Depmod -a always shows "unresolved symbols ..." in these Promise
objects. I can also try downgrading to v2.4 and see what happens if
someone helps me with this simple problem :-)

I will appreciate any input!

Regards,

CN