Re: New Sarge install

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:39:19PM +0100, Hannes Mayer wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:18:32 -0700, Tom Connolly <tomc@cqg.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello list,
> > I am new to Linux and have some questions about a new install of Sarge.  I
> > come from FreeBSD so I do have some familiarity with Unix operating systems
> > (Unix-like in the case of Linux).  I am currently downloading all the ISO's
> > of the "testing" branch via Jigsaw Download.  I believe there is 14 disks in
> > all.  The questions I have are:
>
> If you just want a desktop environment disc 1 should be sufficient,
> probably you'll need disc 2 if you have some special requirements. If
> you need further stuff, just use "apt-get install packagename"
> afterwards.
 Hi Hannes,
 as others had notes, there are a lot of cd's. Most folks need cd 1 and
 cd 2 for the install. This is because of the way they are composed.
 They are composed by popularity, so the most important and popular
 packages are on disk 1, the next popular packages are on disk 2. And
 the least used are on disk 14. But if you are planning to not have the
 machine connected to the internet, they you may want all the disks.
 Otherwise, install with disk 1 & 2 and 'apt-get' the rest of what you
 need.
 -Kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||