LILO warning; additional module required when upgrading kernel.

I used the "LordSutch.com ISOLINUX mini-ISO image" to install Debian
stable on three machines to start building an experimental cluster.
(So some questions about OpenMosix will probably follow in the near
future.)

It left each machine running the 2.2.20-idepci kernel with fully
functional networking (using an Intel PRO/100 NIC).  When I upgraded
to a 2.4.* kernel, networking didn't work until I added the eepro100
module.  Is it normal for a NIC to be included in one kernel but to
require a module in a higher version?

# /sbin/lilo
Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different
head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x80
Added Linux *
Added LinuxOLD

But everything seems to work.  Should I just keep ignoring the
warning, or will it get me into trouble one of these days?

--
Thanks,
Adam