Re: LILO warning; additional module required when upgrading kernel.

Adam Funk,

> It left each machine running the 2.2.20-idepci kernel with fully
> functional networking (using an Intel PRO/100 NIC).  When I upgraded
> to a 2.4.* kernel, networking didn't work until I added the eepro100
> module.  Is it normal for a NIC to be included in one kernel but to
> require a module in a higher version?

It's not so much the version as what they're used for. The idepci-kernel
on the boot-image is sort of an include-all-there-is-kernel (so that it
can boot with all-there-is). The new kernel is smaller, since it's
purpose is to be on a running system. Hence you there get a plainer
kernel that you need to add modules for your specific system.

> # /sbin/lilo
> Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different
> head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x80
> Added Linux *
> Added LinuxOLD
>
> But everything seems to work.  Should I just keep ignoring the
> warning, or will it get me into trouble one of these days?

I believe this is the case when the OS/BIOS/whatnot don't agree on the
layout of your disk. int 13,8 is get current drive parameters, what the
0x48-function does, I'm not entirely sure.

--
regards,

Christopher Pharo Glæserud