Re: why cups so rarely works "out of the box"

I claim to be no CUPS guru, but I never had any success at all with
Foomatic.  I was very successful and satisfied with the results of CUPS
and Gimp-print with my old Lexmark 4039-10R.  Using a PPD file with it
was out of the question as it has too little RAM to process all but the
tiniest/simplest PS file.  Gimp-print allowed me to use PCL5.  This
printer is network connected and served by my Gigafast network switch.

On the other hand, I also set up CUPS on my laptop for a Lexmark Optra
R+ at work.  Grabbing the PPD file and using it gave great results.
This printer is connected to lp0.

In each case I used the web admin interface and it took a few tries,
but like nearly all things Linux, it's been a set and forget operation.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"