Re: Lost MIDI after upgrade to sarge

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:29:30 -0500
Spongebob <NadaSpam@adelphia.net> wrote:

> > sfxload chaos-12MB.sf2
> > No AWE synth device is found
> >
> > Do I need to compile it into the kernel? Doesn't this come with all of the
> > emu10k1 (snd_emu10k1, etc.)?
>
> According to the example in the documentation for loading a soundfont at
> boot, I should have the module
> snd_emu10k1_synth
> I don't seem to have that. Shouldn't that be in the alsa-base package? I
> have alsa-base 1.0.7-2 installed.

The aewsfx package includes asfxload as the alsa based counterpart for sfxload and the alsa modules are included as part of the kernel installation with 2.6 kernels. I use JClive21.sf2 as my sound font so I will use that in these examples.

I got midi working by doing these things...

Make sure the directory /usr/share/sounds/sf2 exists and copy the sound font into it.

Create a new file in /etc/modprobe.d, I named mine emu10k1-synth containing the following which shows as 2 lines here, but should all be a single line:

install snd_emu10k1_synth /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
snd_emu10k1_synth; /usr/bin/asfxload JClive21

: Then run:

update-modules
modprobe snd-emu10k1-synth

At this point if you have playmidi installed you should be able to type:

playmidi -a /path/to/some/midifile.mid

: -a being the awe32 option of playmidi.

You may have to adjust the music slider on whatever mixer you use, currently kmix is looking the best out of the mixers I have tried. For some applications you may have to go into the options for the program and select a synth device from whatever options menu they provide. If they require the alsa port numbers use 65:0, for example pmidi requires the port be specified with the -p option:

pmidi -p 65:0 /path/to/some/midifile.mid

To get the synth module to load at boot try adding lines for the emu10k1 stuff in /etc/modules:

snd-emu10k1
snd-emu10k1-synth

Later, Seeker