Re: sarge 2.6.8 kernel, ALSA ESS1869 No Sound

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:50:09 +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
>    ajp:/etc/modprobe.d# alsaconf
>    Unloading sound driver modules...done.
>    Probing legacy cards..   This may take a few minutes..
>    Probing:  es18xx : FOUND!!
>
>    grep: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base: No such file or directory

alsaconf is in the alsa-utils package which Depends on alsa-base
which includes /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.  You _should_ have the
latter file.  If you don't then purge alsa-base and alsa-utils
and reinstall them from sid.

While you're at it, make sure udev and hotplug are up to date.

Joe wrote:
> One I think is necessary: /etc/modules/alsa and/or
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa, as I seemed to find conflicting information
> about whether 2.6 uses /modules or /modprobe.d

Linux 2.4 uses /etc/modules.conf which, in Debian, is generated from
the files in /etc/modutils by means of the update-modules program.

Linux 2.6 uses /etc/modprobe.conf or, if that is not present, the
files in /etc/modprobe.d/.

Justin wrote:
> If you installed 2.6.8 through apt-get, then the module should
> be built.  Check the directory that it points to.  It should be
> there.  If it's not, you may need to reinstall the kernel,
> because alsa drivers should come standard with 2.6 kernels.

alsa drivers come in 2.6 kernel-image packages.  Nevertheless you
can build an alsa-modules package for your 2.6 kernel from
alsa-source using make-kpkg.  The drivers built from alsa-source
are more up to date than those in kernel-image.

Another point: Try to ensure that your alsa drivers' version
number, as revealed by /proc/asound/version, is the same as the
(upstream) version number of your libasound2 package.

--
Thomas Hood