Re: Creating /dev/md* device files

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 03:16:18PM -0800, Steve Witt wrote:
> I've just installed Debian 3.1 (sarge) on a new machine using the Debian
> Installer rc2. Among other things, it will have a raid5 software raid
> consisting of 5 disks. I'm at the point at which I'm trying to create the
> raid system but am having a problem with the /dev/md0 device file.
>
> When I do the raid create: 'mdadm --create /dev/md0 ...', I get an error
> from mdadm:
>
> mdadm: error opening /dev/md0: No such file or directory
>
> I've got the md and raid5 kernel modules loaded. There weren't any
> /dev/md* files created during the install. I tried to create them using:
>
> cd /dev; MAKEDEV -v md
>
> The md devices were apparently created by MAKEDEV in terms of its output,
> but when I try to examine the /dev directory with 'ls', the files aren't
> there. Any clues as to how to proceed?
>
> Thanks...

Hi!

Hm, you were root while trying to MAKEDEV, weren't you?

If there still is nothing listed in 'ls /dev/md*', you could create them
by hand, as many as you need:

root@host:/# mknod /dev/md0 b 9 0
root@host:/# mknod /dev/md1 b 9 1
[...]

(creating /dev/md0 as a 'B'lock device with major device number 9
and minor 0)

Oh, and don't forget to assign proper access permissions... I'd suggest

root@host:/# chown root:disk /dev/md*
root@host:/# chmod 0660 /dev/md*

If the problem persists after the devices are present, please report
back - but "no such file or directory" usually indicates that the
device node is missing, not the underlying driver. :-)

Jan
--
Jan C. Nordholz
<jckn At gmx net>