Re: Creating /dev/md* device files

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Jan C. Nordholz wrote:

Hi!

Hm, you were root while trying to MAKEDEV, weren't you?

If there still is nothing listed in 'ls /dev/md*', you could create them
by hand, as many as you need:

root@host:/# mknod /dev/md0 b 9 0
root@host:/# mknod /dev/md1 b 9 1
[...]

(creating /dev/md0 as a 'B'lock device with major device number 9
and minor 0)

Oh, and don't forget to assign proper access permissions... I'd suggest

root@host:/# chown root:disk /dev/md*
root@host:/# chmod 0660 /dev/md*

If the problem persists after the devices are present, please report
back - but "no such file or directory" usually indicates that the
device node is missing, not the underlying driver. :-)

Thanks for the help, mknod worked but MAKEDEV didn't (I was root). And devices made with mknod don't survive a reboot!?! So, in digging a bit more, it seems, unbeknownst by me, that this machine is using the udev scheme for managing devices (it has a 2.6.8 kernel, which I should have mentioned). So at least I know why MAKEDEV didn't work and now need to research udev and find out how to get md devices to consistantly show up.