Re: Lost MIDI after upgrade to sarge

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 21:41, Spongebob wrote:
> Seeker5528 wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:59:13 -0500
> >
> > Spongebob <NadaSpam@adelphia.net> wrote:
> >> My sound was working fine until I upgraded to sarge and got a problem
> >> with alsa. I have audio, but no midi.
> >
> > For starters verify that awesfx is installed and read the readme.Debian
> > file in /usr/share/doc/awesfx.
> >
> > Unless there is some odd problem that should give you all the information
> > you need.
> >
> > Later, Seeker
>
> sfxload chaos-12MB.sf2
> No AWE synth device is found
>
> Do I need to compile it into the kernel? Doesn't this come with all of the
> emu10k1 (snd_emu10k1, etc.)?

I have the exact same error you had.
You probably know that with many cards you have to load the sound font into
the sound card, in my case a Create live player.

I created a script /etc/init.d/asfxload that looks like this:
#! /bin/sh
if [ -x /usr/bin/asfxload ]
then
  echo "Loading sound font 8MBGMSFX.SF2"
  /usr/bin/asfxload /etc/init.d/8MBGMSFX.SF2 &
fi

(I know it's ugly to stick the sound core file in the init.d directory...)

The script is linked from /etc/rc5.d like this:

/etc/rc5.d/S98asfxload -> ../init.d/asfxload

This causes it to run just before kdm, my display manager.

However, the sound card is not recognised properly.
I get the following message in virtual console 1 (this contains the boot
messages):

No Emux synth hwdep device is found

I am anxious to know the solution to this problem...

Best

John