Re: Setting up very restricted accounts

Alex Malinovich wrote:

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 09:38 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 08:48 -0600, Kent West wrote:
Kent West wrote:
[snip]
The more I think about this, the less I think it'll work. Alternatively, install sudo, set up your kids as sudoers, giving them only the ability to reboot, without a password, then put "reboot" in their ~/.xinitrc files.
How can one say "man shutdown" without sounding arrogant?

Quite simply of course...

'"man shutdown" without sounding arrogant'

There, I said it. :)

(To elaborate on Ron's statement, specifically the "ACCESS CONTROL"
section.)

I'm not picking up any arrogance from Ron, but I reckon I'm too dense to grok what he (and or Alex) is meaning.

The "ACCESS CONTROL" section talks about the Ctrl-Alt-Delete sequence. What this implies is that the original poster must train his kids to log in when they see the Windows login, but to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete otherwise (assuming he's disabled GDM; else the kids must learn to Ctrl-Alt-F1, then Ctrl-Ald-Delete). What I believe he wants is that the kids only have to know they need to login when they see a login screen, Windows, or Linux, and then the machine does the work of figuring out if they're logging into Windows or Linux and acting accordingly.

Perhaps Ron meant some other section of "man shutdown"?

--
Kent West
Technology Support