Re: Sound broken with new kernel.

On Monday 24 January 2005 15:10, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I'm running Sarge on my Toshiba Tecra 8100. It has a YMFPCI sound system.
>
> ALSA doesn't work at all for me. However, OSS works. I have no problem
> generating noise under kernel 2.4.27. Sound under 2.6.8 is different...
> When sound should start playing, my speakers click, and that's it.
> Through random luck I've had sound under 2.6.8 a couple times, but it
> hasn't worked for a week or so now.

This sounds like an IRQ or DMA problem.  You might try specifying a
different IRQ channel when the driver is loaded.  It may also help to load
your 2.4.27 kernel, and check the resources that the sound card is using,
then compare to what 2.6.8 tries.

> Unfortunately, I can't run 2.4 as my normal kernel on this box because of
> lock-ups with my wireless card and issues with mouse input breaking,
> along with a general fantastic sluggishness which makes the machine just
> about unusable. So, I'm largely stuck using 2.6.8. I would love to have
> sound, though.
>
> Can someone suggest diagnostics I might try to learn more about what's
> happening here? I've tried building a kernel without any ALSA stuff built
> in, but for some reason the resulting kernel packages don't install a
> /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-foo for me, and I can't successfully boot. (I
> took my existing kernel config from the Sarge 2.6.8/686 package as a
> base, chopped out ALSA-related drivers, and built it by invoking
> make-kpkg --buildpackage.)
>
> Thanks in advance for clues. If my sound card works flawlessly under 2.4,
> I can't imagine it's out of the question for it to work with 2.6...

When you built your custom kernel, did you tell it to use an initial ram
disk?  There's an option somewhere, but I can't remember where, it's been
so long.  I don't even remember if it's a kernel compile option, or just a
boot loader option.  Sorry I can't be more help here.

Justin Guerin