Re: Setting up very restricted accounts

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 11:09 -0600, Kent West wrote:
--snip--
> I'm not picking up any arrogance from Ron, but I reckon I'm too dense to
> grok what he (and or Alex) is meaning.
>
> The "ACCESS CONTROL" section talks about the Ctrl-Alt-Delete sequence.
> What this implies is that the original poster must train his kids to log
> in when they see the Windows login, but to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete
> otherwise (assuming he's disabled GDM; else the kids must learn to
> Ctrl-Alt-F1, then Ctrl-Ald-Delete). What I believe he wants is that the
> kids only have to know they need to login when they see a login screen,
> Windows, or Linux, and then the machine does the work of figuring out if
> they're logging into Windows or Linux and acting accordingly.
>
> Perhaps Ron meant some other section of "man shutdown"?

In this case, I would just put in "shutdown -r now" in the .xinitrc file
and the kids account(s) in the shutdown.allow file. This way, one of the
kids will log in and shutdown will get run (which will succeed because
they are in the shutdown.allow list) and the computer will reboot.

I have to admit that I have not been following this thread from the
beginning, so if I'm leaving out some important details I apologize.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837