Re: Unmounting NFS partition in case of time-out?

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:00:23 +0100, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:

> Is there a way to have an NFS mount become "invisible" if the NFS server
> doesn't respond after a certain time?  I'm not sure if the mount option
> timeo=<time> does exactly what I want; it appears to just cause NFS
> accesses to fail after the given amount of time.  Can a non-working NFS
> mount even be umount'ed?

It can. You have to use the option  soft
from man nfs
[...]
If an NFS file operation has a major timeout then report an I/O error to
the calling program.  The default is to continue retrying NFS file
operations indefinitely
[...]

If you mount your NFS shares "hard" and try to access it, the process
hangs in state D which cannot be killed. (Anybody has ideas?)

> In an ideal world the NFS mount would automatically be recovered once
> the file server is brought back up, but I can live without this feature

I think this will be done automatically when you mount soft.

> Possible to do this easily, or do I need to hack up something with ping
> in a cron job?

Maybe you should use a cron job for checking the presence of the NFS
mounts, and generate a error page on some location if the NFS mount is
absent.

   bis denne,
         Chrissie

get my gpg public key at http://www.haschmir.de/chrissie-web.asc
--
You prefer the company of the opposite sex, but are well liked by your own.