K6 or 386 kernel

I'm working on two installations of the Debian Music Distribution
(DeMuDi from Agnula).  First, I started installing on a Pentium III.
The second computer is an older K6.  Each machine installs differently.
I learned a lot. I'm still learning.

The PIII was easy, the K6 is impossible.

My question is abou the K6.  I chose the K6 kernel because I have a K6
processor, but I'm finding that many packages fail to install including
terminatorx.  The mouse isn't recognized by the default driver.  The
"User Friendly" GUI freezes shortly after login.  Performance is very
inconsistant.  Each boot seems to freeze in a different spot.
Can I just choose the regular 386 kernel for my K6?