Re: what does banned from irc mean

Maybe the nick was already in use and you didn't have a second nick typed in was the message, but if you are banned, you need to write the administrator and find out why. You may have chosen a bad nick. Someone else may have been a trouble maker and they just assumed the person switched providers and banned you. Try to log on with a different nick first, and if that doesn't work, contact the system administrator for that server and explain the situation.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mitchell Laks" <mlaks@verizon.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 8:57 AM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] what does banned from irc mean

Hi,
I am new to irc. I logged on to the debian irc at freenode and I decided to
make up a name and I chose gauss after the famous mathematician. So I
did /nick gauss ( i think. maybe it was Karl_gauss? i dont remember). I then
tried to /join #debian and i got some message about the nickname which i
didnt understand (i dont really know ksirc commands other than /nick
and /join)...

Now when i try to log on it says i am banned. What does that mean? How can i
change it? All i tried to do was log in...

Gauss was agreat mathematician by the way.
Mitchell Laks