what does banned from irc mean

Hi,
I am new to irc. I logged on to the debian irc at freenode and I decided to
make up a name and I chose gauss after the famous mathematician. So I
did /nick gauss ( i think. maybe it was Karl_gauss? i dont remember). I then
tried to /join #debian and i got some message about the nickname which i
didnt understand (i dont really know ksirc commands other than /nick
and /join)...

Now when i try to log on it says i am banned. What does that mean? How can i
change it? All i tried to do was log in...

Gauss was agreat mathematician by the way.
Mitchell Laks