chattr non-root users

Hi there,

here's a qoute for ya:
"... i The 'i' attribute stands for "immutable", this offers a level of
protection against deletion. The 'i' attribute can only be added/removed
to/from a files attribute by the 'root' user."[1]

So I'm trying to do chattr +i <filename> as a non root user and my /home is
ext3, but chattr returns:
chattr: Operation not permitted while setting flags on <filename>

Root does not suffer under such restrictions so can anyone enlighten me on the
reasons behind not allowing non root users to make files in their homes
immutable. Searching the archives didn't reveal much except that it confirmed
my speculations that not allowing file attribute manipulations by non-root
users could be a kind of security measure. hm..

Thanks in advance,
Boris.

[1] "Understanding chattr." MeanPC, 2004.
<http://www.meanpc.com/linux/understanding_chattr.htm>