wvdial redial problem

I've been experiencing a strange problem with wvdial. Sometimes wvdial won't redial if the first attempt gets busy signal. Sometimes it does so by sitting still after printing ATDT08nnnnnnn (n is the actual phone number digits) without dialing anything. And some other times, it does so by printing ATDT08Xnnnnnn (where X is a literal "X") and just sitting still. Sometimes though, it redials fine. Any hint of what's going on in here?

PS: Sarge, wvdial 1.54.0, dialing as a normal (non-root) user which belongs to the "dip" and "dialout" group. Snippets of wvdial.conf (I usually invoke wvdial with "wvdial isp1"):

[Dialer defaults]
Phone = 0
Username = 0
Password = 0
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Auto DNS = no

[Dialer isp1]