voice editor [was: Re: Playing tone through speakers]

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 04:57:32PM -0600, Thomas Stivers wrote:
> I am blind and have been using linux for some time. While most of the
> things you listed above can be done with various tools it can be
> difficult to teach new blind linux users how to string it all together.
> I would most certainly be interested in your tool and expect that many
> others would as well. If you release ved you might inform the blinux
> list <blinux-list@redhat.com> and the speakup mailing list
> <speakup@braille.uwo.ca> as well as the debian-accessibility mailing
> list. Thank you for this bell program which is much handier than the
> pc-speaker bell for many things and potentially for the ved program as
> well.
>
> P.S. I would like to forward your message to the above lists to see what
> kind of response it gets.

Sure, go ahead.

I'll post ved soon.  I'd like to make it more portable too - being tied
to OSS/Linux isn't ideal.  Can anyone suggest a good audio IO library to
use for this purpose?  I'm looking at libaio at the moment, which isn't
in Debian yet.