Re: something messed up my partition table. Can I get it back?

Spongebob wrote:

> Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>
> > The one caveat with Windows/Linux as far as partitions go is that with
> > DOS/Win9X/WinME you should avoid having any non-FAT/FAT32 partition as
> > the last partition within an extended partition. There was a long
> > standing partition bug that MS never fixed, which could cause strange
> > problems (such as phantom drive letters etc.) when this was the case.
> >
> > With Win2K and WinXP, this is not an issue.
>
> That must have been what I was thinking of. I think I tried to partition a
> drive that way once, and got those wierd problems. I'm using win98, so this
> is still a concern for me. It's just the last partition within an extended
> partition? Does
> /dev/hda5 = vfat
> /dev/hda6 = ext2
> /dev/hda7 = vfat
> work okay?

Yes, it's only the last one that matters.

Actually, here's a link to a web page that describes this and similar
partition issues (bugs) with DOS/Win9X/ME. There's a section near the
middle of the page titled DOS/Windows 95/98/ME Partition Issues:

http://www.partitionsupport.com/partitionnotes.htm

Tom