Re: something messed up my partition table. Can I get it back?

Spongebob wrote:

> Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>
> > It sounds a lot more like those partitions are getting "hidden", even
> > though doing that makes no sense at all for Linux partitions. Here's
>
> That's it! Thanks a bundle!
>
> > There's no need to "hide" Linux partitions. Windows will not see them
> > regardless of whether you hide them or not. You must be doing this in
> > Grub, so I'd take a look at your Grub config file at
> > /boot/grub/menu.lst.
>
> When I was using lilo, I had all the linux partitions "deactivated". I
> copied that from one of the HOWTO's or something on dual booting. I needed
> those lines so windows wouldn't complain about these drives that were
> "unusable" or something or other. And it was giving me an icon for the
> linux partitions (at least some of them), thereby messing up my drive
> letter ordering.
>
> When I moved to grub, I thought these lines translated to hide commands.
> They only appear under the title for booting windows. But when I restart
> windows, apparently they don't get unhidden.
>
> So I don't need to hide any of the linux partitions from windows?

No, and trying to hide them doesn't accomplish anything. Windows doesn't
recognize anything but it's own partition types. 83h and 93h mean the
same thing to Windows - an unrecognized partition.

The one caveat with Windows/Linux as far as partitions go is that with
DOS/Win9X/WinME you should avoid having any non-FAT/FAT32 partition as
the last partition within an extended partition. There was a long
standing partition bug that MS never fixed, which could cause strange
problems (such as phantom drive letters etc.) when this was the case.

With Win2K and WinXP, this is not an issue.

Tom