Re: Sounds problems, crashing Firefox

Alban Browaeys wrote:
just in case:
Also i don t get why you use esd and dmix , they achieve the same thing.
I used esd only , all applications can work with it if you export:
SDL_AUDIODRIVER=esd (sdl apps)
by creating an ~/.openalrc file with  "(define devices '(esd native))" in it.

some java apps still requires esddsp (using kaffe maybe that s the culprit) and
still q3 and the like does not support esd though you can manage esd in their
start scripts.

I'm afraid I have to admit to not fully understanding my posted setup
and that I used a document by Justin Mason[1] for reference. This
document helped me with the problem I was having which was that I
couldn't play/head wavs or system-ui sounds while also listening to an MP3

One oddity is that the browser hangs, not when a flash file with sound
is loaded but when I attempt to close the browser of tab with that file. The flash movie will load but not play past the first frame with sound.

I can report that I have tried uninstalling flashplugin-nonfree but
libflashplayer.so was not removed from my ~/.mozilla/plugins directory.
If I move this by hand when Firefox encounters flash it crashes
instantly. I have libflash-mozplugin installed but it doesn't seem t be
used. I have bigger problems now.

I also tried your suggestion with the environment variable and an
.openalrc but I'm afraid I must have misunderstood you as that left me
with no sounds at all.

Oh dear, now when I revert to my old configuration I also have no sound. Applications report ALSA device "default" does not exist. Could you give me a brief over-view of your sound setup including some rc files? And/or a pointer to a useful resource for Debian/Linux sound configuration. I'm afraid I don't find it very straight forward.

I thought ALSA was what we should use unless an app. doesn't have the correct support in which case we use the legacy esd instead?

1. http://taint.org/wk/AlsaSoftwareMixing[2]
2. http://taint.org/2004/12/16/204327a.html

--
Cliph/ff