Re: hde vs hda drive designation

I know how to circumvent this with grub instead of lilo... but you can
boot from a grub diskette before you decide which bootloader to use:
1) Download a grub boot floppy (google), for example from:
http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/grub.img

2) Put it in a diskette with:
dd if=/grub.img of=/dev/fd0
or from windows with the program:
http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/rawrite.exe

3) Boot from the diskette and type ('grub>' is the prompt, '# are my
comments'):
grub> map (hd0) (hd5)
                          # 'you define hda as device name hde'
grub> map (hd5) (hd0)
                          # 'you define hde as device name hda'
             # 'after this computer will see hardware as specified'
grub> root (hd0,0)
                          # 'boot partition'
grub> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 root=/dev/hda1
                          # 'Where you have the kernel image'
grub> boot

Grub lets you do a different re-map and so for every kernel you have, so
you can leave the old kernel entry without re-maping.

If this works for you and you like it, I can tell how to setup grub in
hard disk instead of lilo.

Good luck.

--
diego <ddc_prueba@yahoo.es>