hde vs hda drive designation

I have a situation where, when I installed Debian Sarge, my hd was recognized as 'hde' (as opposed to hda).

Everything works fine, as long as I boot from the original kernel from the installation media.

However, when I boot from a kernel compiled on my system, the kernel panics, saying that I need to 'append a correct "root=" boot option'.

Under the compiled kernel (2.6.10), my hd is recognized as 'hda', instead of hde, now.

If I try changing lilo.conf (that's the boot loader I'm using) to reflect the 'new' hd designation of hda, but I am unable to run lilo, as it can't find the disk.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to get around this, I would appreciate their sharing the information.

Thanks.

Taren