Re: hde vs hda drive designation

My problem is that the precompiled kernels recognize it as hde (especially during installation and bootable floppy creation). It's when I use a custom-compiled kernel that it sees it as hda, and panics because it can't find the partition.

What I need is some way to get my hard drive mapped to /dev/hda during installation, rather than to /dev/hde.

Taren

diego wrote:

This happened to me in the past... I think what happend in my case was:

I changed the IDE from being a module to be *IN* the kernel, so in the
first situation the extra raid IDE was detected *AFTER* initrd, so hda
was already assigned when detected the extra IDE. And, in the later, was
recognized at the very beggining, so it was possible for it to be hda...

I preferred it be compiled *IN* the kernel, so I did a remap of the
drives in grub menu.

Hope this helps.