Pse explain apt-get & security

Sources are sarge - ran apt-get update and got something related to security. Ran upgrade and nothing appears to happen. Please explain to this newbie what's happening here and what to expect. I'm familiar with the normal routine of package upgrading, but this caught me offguard when nothing appeared to happen after the update was downloaded. Tnx

apt-get update
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org sarge/main Packages
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org sarge/main Release
Hit http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Packages