Re: Pse explain apt-get & security

Hello

John Fleming (<john@wa9als.com>) wrote:

> Sources are sarge - ran apt-get update and got something related to
> security.  Ran upgrade and nothing appears to happen.  Please explain
> to this newbie what's happening here and what to expect.  I'm familiar
> with the normal routine of package upgrading, but this caught me
> offguard when
> nothing appeared to happen after the update was downloaded.  Tnx
>
> apt-get update
> [...]
> Get:1 http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Release [111B]

This means that the Release file on the server is newer than yours. Even
if it had been the Packages file (with the list of available packages),
this doesn't mean updates for /your/ system are available. Please also
keep in mind that untill Sarge becomes stable, there is no real support
for it by the Debian security team.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270