Re: Problems with Grub

From: Aperez <alfredoj69@gmail.com>
To: Bruce Park <bpark79@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Problems with Grub
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:44:43 -0500

Bruce Park wrote:

From: Aperez <alfredoj69@gmail.com>
To: Bruce Park <bpark79@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:00:19 -0500

Bruce Park wrote:

From: Aperez <alfredoj69@gmail.com>
To: Bruce Park <bpark79@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:50:00 -0500

Bruce Park wrote:

From: Aperez <alfredoj69@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Problems with Grub
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:35:01 -0500

Hello everybody

I had installed Fedora but I decided to install Debian Sarge. After the Sarge installation process I get following messages:

GRUB loading stage1.5
GRUB loading, please wait
Error 18

PC hangs

I tried fdisk /mbr with a win 98 diskette and install sarge again. But the same problem occurs

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Can you print out your partition table? Thanks.

bp

This is my partition table:

IDE1 master hda (Debian Sarge)
   #1 primary 7.0   GB ext3 mount /
   #2 logical   1.0   GB swap
   #3 logocal  22.7 GB ext3 mount : /home

IDE2 slave hdd Freebsd

Check out this site:
http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_13.html#SEC101

It has the errors' descriptions.

bp

Yes, thank you I read that but my question now is : How can I fix that?
Any suggestion?

Thanks

How old is your BIOS? I find it rare that you'd still have a BIOS that's old enough to have this problem.

Because your BIOS can't read beyond the first 512MB of the disk, the way to fix it is to install GRUB into the first 512MB on the disk.

bp

Thank you bp

For the record: I made one partition /boot of 100 MB and I made it bootable. Then I made (/) partition of 500 MB and so on. This time it worked. For some reason, Debian installer creates a / partition too big. That is why BIOS was having problems. Maybe this is an issue that debian should address.

Well, this is the normal behavior. Because older BIOS can't handle more than a certain limit, you have to install the MBR within that requirement. If your BIOS doesnt' care, it doesn't matter.

I believe other distros like RH try to for a manual partition in the beginning of the hard drive because of this issue. Either way, this is not a distribution problem.

bp