Re: Can't Setup/Configure Mailscanner / Can't Upgrade Mailscanner / Can't Uninstall Mailacanner

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Well, its been four days and no reply. What gives, don't I deserve some consideration as the other users do? I do need help on this and other issues I have with Debian GNU/Linux. Again, please help.

Whoa whoa whoa, Leonard. This list is made up of volunteers. As such, there's no quicker way to offend your best source of support by demanding things of them.

I, for one, don't know a thing about "Mailscanner", so I can't address your issues. It may be that "Mailscanner"-literate folks are in short supply on this list. No one's ignoring you because you're not "the other users". However, they may now ignore you because you're making unjustified demands. I know you're frustrated, but I've been here quite a few years, and by what I've witnessed over the years, you've just opened yourself up to flames and blacklisting. My suggestion is to tread softly.

This Newbie needs serious help with resolving Mailscanner issues in subject. I have transcribed by hand the tty output of apt-get upgrage re: Mailacanner. If anyone of you good, kind, helpful souls can tell me how to copy the tty output of an apt-get upgrade and paste it into an email, it would be most helpful and time saving for me. I wouldn't mine editing out the unrelated material before sending. It will probably take several postings to convey all the issues This is just the start.

The easiest way is to do this upgrade in an xterm (or equivalent terminal window) from within X; then just highlight the text with your mouse, go to your email composition window, and middle-click (or both-click if you're using a two-button mouse with 3-button emulation) to paste that text. If you're not using X, and are doing this from a plain-text console, you can do that same thing, but you'll need the console mouse driver, gpm, running.

I think the base problem lies in the Mailscanner configuration/setup dialog. It said to edit /etc/default/mailscanner, after modifying exim or sendmail to suit your needs, and this statement if found in /etc/init.d/mailscanner which originall appeared
on the tty output of an apt-get install mailscanner:

"Please edit the file /etc/mailscanner/mailscanner.conf according to your needs. Then configure sendmail or exim for use
with mailscanner.

After you are done you will have to edit /etc/default/mailscanner as well(file didn't exist at the time). Then you will have to set the variable run_mailscanner to 1, and then type "/etc/init.d/mailscanner start" to start the mailscanner daemon."

Now, the confusion lies in the last paragraph of the quote. Is this the way to set an environmental variable? Do I use the set command? Do I put the init.d command in the file or type it at the tty promp after saving the file? Thought about this alot and did
first:
Create the file /etc/default/ mailscanner and added the line "run_mailscanner=1" without quotes. This didn't help and continued
to get error messages during upgrade of mailscanner.

You probably don't need to use the "set" command (presuming you mean a shell environment variable); I think you're right that this variable should be set in "/etc/default/mailscanner". What you've tried is a good guess. I'm surprised the "/etc/default/mailscanner" file does not already exist, but as I mentioned, I'm not familiar with "Mailscanner", so that may be normal. You might also try something like "run_mailscanner 1" (without the equals sign).

You might try "man mailscanner" to see if it has examples of the entries in this file. At the bottom of that might be a link to other man pages that might help. You might also look in "/usr/share/doc/mailscanner" for hints.

Then after several upgrades and dist=upgrades:
Added the line "/etc/init.d/mailscanner start" to the file /etc/default/mailscanner without quotes.

This is not necessary. The file "/etc/init.d/mailscanner" is a script that will start the "Mailscanner" program when entering certain runlevels (say, during a normal boot-up).

The instructions above are just telling you to manually start the "Mailscanner" program by running this script (with the "start" parameter) instead of rebooting (or otherwise changing runlevels) in order to start the program. You can start/stop many processes in this manner; for example, if you wanted to stop your network, you could run "/etc/init.d/networking stop", or start it with "/etc/init.d/networking start".

This entry didn't help anything but, probably causing all the open files. Still getting error messages regarding upgrading mailscanner. Tried to uninstall mailscanner but got several postinst and prerm dpkg errors mostly error 127. Don't have accuract tty output to quote
at this time on uninstall.

Okay, so your problem is not so much needing to configure Mailscanner, as it is getting the upgrade finished properly. Something's gone wrong (perhaps you've run out of disk space, or you didn't do an "apt-get update" before doing your upgrade, or a package is broken (particularly from Sid or Sarge), or a file failed to download, etc). So don't worry about editing the "Mailscanner" config file; worry about getting the upgrade finished properly. Then perhaps you'll have a config file which I was suprised earlier to find you were lacking.

So, I'd like to know how to setup/configure mailscanner properly regarding specifically the "/etc/default/mailscaner" file and "/etc/init.d/mailscanner start" or at least "How to uninstall and get it out of my system?"

As mentioned above, it seems like your problem is not with "Mailscanner", but with the upgrade process.

Are you installing from CDs, or the network?

When you run "apt-get update" do you get any errors?

Then when you run "apt-get upgrade", any errors?

Are you running Sid? Stable? Sarge? If Sid or Sarge, I'd suggest "dist-upgrade" rather than "upgrade" in the prior paragraph.

Appreciate and help/suggestion.
PLEASE COPY MY EMAIL ADDRESS: NOT SUBSCRIBED.

Doh! I had already deleted it from the To: section. You might want to put this at the top of your message next time.

Oh, wait; when I created a new "Reply to All" message in order to get your email address, it still wasn't there; perhaps your "Reply to:" is not properly set?

--
Kent