Re: webmail.<mydomain>

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 12:23:23PM +0100, Olle Eriksson wrote:
> On Sunday 16 January 2005 21.33, Kanban Stevan wrote:
> > > Squirrelmail will not redirect any http (actually https) requests.
> > > It's the webserver (apache2) that handles the http requests. If you
> > > can access the webmail via http://<yourdomain>:443 then all is fine
> > > so far. What you probably need is to bind webmail.<yourdomain> to the
> > > IP address of your server, and then setup apache2 to redirect https
> > > requests for webmail.<yourdomain> to the particular directory where
> > > Squirrelmail is located. I am using a VirtualHost in apache2 to do
> > > this:
> > >
> > > <VirtualHost <my IP address>:443>
> > >   DocumentRoot "/var/swww/"
> > >   ServerName <myservername>:443
> > >   ServerAdmin <servairadminmail>
> > >
> > >   ... more stuff...
> > >
> > >   Alias /webmail "/usr/share/squirrelmail/"
> > >   <Directory "/usr/share/squirrelmail/">
> > >     php_flag register_globals on
> > >     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
> > >     <IfModule mod_dir.c>
> > >       DirectoryIndex index.php
> > >     </IfModule>
> > >   </Directory>
> > > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > There's still one problem tp be sold: the Alias directive allows to
> > connect to https://<mydomain>/webmail/.
> > However, i need to connect to https://webmail.mydomain. As i know, it
> > involves with DNS servers. Any idea?
>
> I am not familiar with Bind so I don't know exactly. But you probably need
> to bind a new hostname "webmail" to your IP-address in Bind, ie create a
> new forward zone. Once you have gotten your webmail.<yourdomain> to point
> to your machine you need to configure Apache2 to listen to the new
> domain, probably through a VirtualHost as I described. Then you can
> change the Alias from /webmail to / and you'll be able to access it at
> webmail.<yourdomain>.
>
> Olle
>
> PS. Next time, try not to top-post (put the reply above the quoted
> message, instead put it below, it's the recommended standard here).
>

> --

Thanks for your usefull advices. I've done on my REGISTAR dns the changing. I will have the
result these days. My problem is that my own dns isn't seen in internet. My registar informed
me (by using my "manager" on its web site) that my dns host has to be registered. It cannot be
solved with browser. I've got to phone them. I just need this for testing because i'm not sure
my pc switched on 24h/24h and i don't know what would involve if this happens. So you will not
have the final answer on my bind server. Concerning your solution with the virtual host, it
works very well now. When my registar updates my changing, i will be able to connect as
https://webmail.mydomain.

Bye.

--
Stevan Kanban