Re: webmail.<mydomain>

On Sunday 16 January 2005 21.33, Kanban Stevan wrote:
> > Squirrelmail will not redirect any http (actually https) requests.
> > It's the webserver (apache2) that handles the http requests. If you
> > can access the webmail via http://<yourdomain>:443 then all is fine
> > so far. What you probably need is to bind webmail.<yourdomain> to the
> > IP address of your server, and then setup apache2 to redirect https
> > requests for webmail.<yourdomain> to the particular directory where
> > Squirrelmail is located. I am using a VirtualHost in apache2 to do
> > this:
> >
> > <VirtualHost <my IP address>:443>
> >   DocumentRoot "/var/swww/"
> >   ServerName <myservername>:443
> >   ServerAdmin <servairadminmail>
> >
> >   ... more stuff...
> >
> >   Alias /webmail "/usr/share/squirrelmail/"
> >   <Directory "/usr/share/squirrelmail/">
> >     php_flag register_globals on
> >     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
> >     <IfModule mod_dir.c>
> >       DirectoryIndex index.php
> >     </IfModule>
> >   </Directory>
> > </VirtualHost>
>
> There's still one problem tp be sold: the Alias directive allows to
> connect to https://<mydomain>/webmail/.
> However, i need to connect to https://webmail.mydomain. As i know, it
> involves with DNS servers. Any idea?

I am not familiar with Bind so I don't know exactly. But you probably need
to bind a new hostname "webmail" to your IP-address in Bind, ie create a
new forward zone. Once you have gotten your webmail.<yourdomain> to point
to your machine you need to configure Apache2 to listen to the new
domain, probably through a VirtualHost as I described. Then you can
change the Alias from /webmail to / and you'll be able to access it at
webmail.<yourdomain>.

Olle

PS. Next time, try not to top-post (put the reply above the quoted
message, instead put it below, it's the recommended standard here).