Re: kernel 2.6, optical drives and DMA

____[ snip ]____

> Questions:
> 1. Is there a way to enable DMA safely for all operations with this
> DVD/CD drive, particularly burning, video DVD playback, data disk
> reading?
Yes.  DO
cdrecord dev-ATA -scanbus
then using the results of the scan

cdrecord dev=ATA:x,x,x  will enable DMA.  (Many msgs in the DU
Archives about this BTW)

> 2. If the answer to q1 is no, is it OK to enable DMA ("hdparm
> -d1 /dev/hde") for burning disks and for watching DVDs, but to disable
> it again before mounting data disks?
> 3. For an optical disk (as opposed to a hard disk), is it important to
> use an 80-connector IDE cable with the ATA100 controller as opposed to
> the traditional 40-connector cable?
>
> I have RTFM'ed and STFW'ed to the point of information overload. If
> there are good resources out there that I have missed, please point me
> to them. Help much appreciated. It is a testament to how solid this
> system is that this is my biggest current problem.
Search the archives of debian-user would be my first thought.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
WT
--
Real programmers don't write in BASIC.  Actually, no programmers write
in BASIC after reaching puberty.