Re: Driver for Radeon x300 series, ATI technologies

--- "J.F.Gratton" <jean-francois.gratton@videotron.ca> wrote:

> Considering the "attempt to overide" message, put this
> into /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg :
>
> force-overwrite

[snip]

> Still, I gave part of the answer; I suggest putting the force-overwrite
> directive in /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg as it might also help you on other
> packages installing.

I wouldn't recommend that! It would overwrite without any bells and whisles each time it
encounters a similar problem. A bad idea IMO. Instead, I use the "--force-overwrite" flag for dpkg
and ONLY for the package having problems. I know, more work because each time I have to do it. But
at least I know when I am overwriting stuff.

> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 16:14 +0100, Robinson, Peter wrote:
> > Dear Debianers,
[snip]
> > 2) I also tried to use the new driver provided by ATI
> > http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_3.14.1.html
> > But this driver is provided only as rpm.
> > So, I did "alien fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.6.i386.rpm"
> > When I then tried to do
> > dpkg -i  xxx.deb
> > I got the message (translated from German)
> > "Error in processing of fglrx_4.3.0-4.14_i386.deb (--install): attempt to overwrite
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2, which is in the package xlibmesa-gl"
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get this graphic card to work and which driver would
> be best suited?

Check this post on linuxQuestions.org (and forget about the patch thing he
mentions, no need for it with the new drivers)
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/201996

HTH,
ib