Re: Linux friendly Mainboard, Video, and Sound Card Manufacturer?

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Greg Madden wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 January 2005 09:49 am, Syed Huq wrote:
> > I wish the link Greg provided would be more up to date. Particularly
> > the Motherboard section lacks data.
> >
> > With all hardware discussions on this forum, I wish someone could
> > compile a Debian specific Hardware support list.

sounds like a good idea ..

did you send in your list of hardware that works on debian to the
folks that have "hardware compatibility lists" ??
	- remember, no one entity will ever have all the googlezillion
	permutations of hardware to test
		- mb, sound cards, pcmcia cards, nic cards,
		cdrw drives,  ...

> > >  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO
> > >

> Sorry, I didn't realize it was a year old, a bit dated in computer
> years. Maybe a list of links to hardware will have a better chance of
> getting an updated overview.

hardware doesn't age like wine does ... it should still be
compatible in the future, except that manufacturers change
the chipset on newer versions of the same make/model of their
products which might render it useless under same linux distro
or newer versions with the "previously/working supported hardware"

> http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/Hardware/
>
> This does illustrate how time consuming it is to research/buy hardware
> for Linux. My 3Com nic card is the only piece of hardware that had a
> Penquin logo on the box.
>
> BTW, I like Matrox cards, high quality and some support for Linux, not a
> gamers card, afaik.

all 3 of um ( matrox, nvidia, ati ) are "evil" .. but it all works
for what the cards was designed to do

c ya
alvin