Re: Linux friendly Mainboard, Video, and Sound Card Manufacturer?

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 09:49 am, Syed Huq wrote:
> I wish the link Greg provided would be more up to date. Particularly
> the Motherboard section lacks data.
>
> With all hardware discussions on this forum, I wish someone could
> compile a Debian specific Hardware support list.
>
> - Rathon
>
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:18:08 -0900, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 January 2005 02:47 am, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
> > > Dear Group,
> > >
> > > I am planning on putting together my own system. I am excited
> > > about knowing exactly what everything is and having all the
> > > manuals for the first time!  It should be a great learning
> > > experience for me!
> > >
> > > I was wondering if there were any known manufacturers of
> > > Mainboards and Video, and Sound Cards who are known to develop
> > > their product with Linux in mind.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > ---
> > > Scotty
> >
> > Yes & No :) To be truly supportive of the way Linux ( the kernel)
> > works support for hardware drivers would have to be GPL, afaikt.
> > However some hardware works better than others with Linux, some
> > doesn't work at all, the hardware compatability howto(s) are a good
> > place to start.
> >
> >  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO
> >
> > My first thought is to buy the best supported/working main board,
> > everything else plugs into it, more or less.
> > --
> > Greg C. Madden

Sorry, I didn't realize it was a year old, a bit dated in computer
years. Maybe a list of links to hardware will have a better chance of
getting an updated overview.
http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/Hardware/

This does illustrate how time consuming it is to research/buy hardware
for Linux. My 3Com nic card is the only piece of hardware that had a
Penquin logo on the box.

BTW, I like Matrox cards, high quality and some support for Linux, not a
gamers card, afaik.

--
Greg C. Madden