Re: Linux friendly Mainboard, Video, and Sound Card Manufacturer?

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:12:50 -0800, Scarletdown
<gsutton9503@wavecable.com> wrote:
> Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
> > Dear Group,
> >
> > I am planning on putting together my own system. I am excited
> > about knowing exactly what everything is and having all the
> > manuals for the first time!  It should be a great learning
> > experience for me!
> >
> > I was wondering if there were any known manufacturers of
> > Mainboards and Video, and Sound Cards who are known to develop
> > their product with Linux in mind.
>
> I personally recommend the Asus A7N8X Deluxe.  That motherboard uses
> the nVidia nForce-2 chipset, which has good Linux support, and has
> good on-board sound as well as dual on-board NICs.
>
> For video, again I recommend nVidia, something like the GeForce 5600FX.

I disagree. nForce is a completely propietary chipset that used to
require the nVidia supplied drivers for the network card at least
(which AFAIK are not included on the CD you get with your
motherboard). Support might be better now, but you'll still need quite
a recent kernel. I'd personally go with anything with a SiS chipset (I
like the drivers for those).

Video is a bit different. Whichever you choose you are going to have
to go through a bit of a hassle. I tend to agree that nvidia is best
here (if you want a new-ish card). Be sure to use the nvidia packages
in non-free to get your drivers then.

And for the original question about sound. If you're going to buy a
card, I've allways found the soundblaster cards from creative well
supported. Though some people seem to believe creative is evil.

greets,
Wim