Re: Vanished kernel.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:10:51 +0100, Roy 'Mooie' Sandgren
<mooie+debian-user@fukt.bth.se> wrote:
> Andreas Janssen wrote:
> >
> > Roy 'Mooie' Sandgren (<mooie+debian-user@fukt.bth.se>) wrote:
> >>I have tried to figure out the reason in a numerous ways, but am
> >>forced to ask here. Yesterday when I made a woody-installation I
> >>wasn't able to get any newer kernels than 2.4.19.
> >
> > That's because there are no newer kernel images in Woody. If you have
> > newer kernels installed on Woody system, they are inofficial packages,
> > maybe from some inofficial installation medium, special boot disk or
> > other source, like backports.org.
>
> Indeed. The image (or source, since I want to get the kernel-tree
> package) does not exist in a later version than 2.4.19. But it has. I
> use the same sources.list now as I have used for the past year or two.
> Which contains the stable main and non-us branches from
> ftp.se.debian.org, ftp.sunet.se and ftp.us.debian.org. As well as the
> security.debian.org one. No backports.org nor any other source is used.
> So, apparently, the package that was stable has been removed. Why, is
> still my question. Was is added by mistake? I have no idea, since that
> information is not to be found anywhere.

I was wondering about this a while ago myself. I checked at
snapshot.debian.net and indeed there used to be newer versions
available. I suggest you send a mail to
debian-kernel@lists.debian.org asking why, and report back to us. ;-)
Don't forget to ask them to cc you if you're not subscribing to the
list. You might be able to find something by just searching for
messages about it but I haven't found any just yet.

greets,
Wim