Re: CD burner not working with kernel 2.6

Anthony Roberts wrote:

Not needed! Your list of modules seems to be ok.
Just try a cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATA. If your user has succes to
the /dev/hd?, which means member of group cdrom, and cdrecord is set
suid you will be happy to burn cd's now ;-) You must have a kernel
2.6.(1-7) 2.6.8-4+ or 2.6.(9|10).
I can't have permissions to access a device that doesn't exist. dmesg specifically says my CD drive is not supported, and there is no device in /dev for the CD drive. What I'm trying to do right now is get the kernel to recognize the CD drive.

I should add that I know for a fact that the drive is supported by virtue of the fact that I have successfully used it with kernel 2.4 and 2.6 with Gentoo, SUSE (both using kernel 2.6). Something weird is going on that causes Linux to not recognize
the drive.

I know about the security issue with 2.6.8 and .8-1, but at the moment that's not even the issue... even with that bug, the device existed and could be used by root.